Have you been looking forward to a most awaited vacation? If you’re a family caregiver, you may think that vacations are no longer possible since you have your loved one to take care of. Furthermore, if you’re caring for an aging family member, you might feel uncertain about the possibility of taking them with you.
Thankfully, a wonderful trip with your family can be possible with some meticulous planning on your part. Here are some tips you might want to consider:
- Be considerate of your loved one’s travel needs and comfort. It can be helpful to find transportation providers who can make their trips more convenient and manageable. Along with that, you also need to anticipate their needs on a daily basis, based on the routines they follow at home. This can give you an idea on how to handle situations at a certain time of the day.
- Be realistic about your aging loved one’s condition. If they have mobility or incontinence issues, you may want to reconsider traveling to far-distant locations. If you also think you need extra hands to assist your loved one while on this trip, you may consider inquiring from a Home Care Agency in California. Being realistic can help you set your expectations and consequently, enjoy your trip.
- Ensure that their routines are still followed once you have arrived at your destination. Find a way to monitor these routines so that you can help them to feel calm if ever the new place can bother them. If necessary, you may also let them bring some memorabilia at home so that they can be calm in the new location. This can especially be helpful for seniors with dementia.
- Arrange for all your family members to have shifts in caring for your loved one. Ensure that they will not be left alone all by themselves for a long period of time. Someone needs to supervise or assist them as often as necessary especially if they already have age-related difficulties.
- Remember to bring their prescriptions and other medications. Even when you’re on a trip, their medication adherence still needs to be ensured. If you’re getting assistance from a home health aide, they can help you prepare these essentials. After all, they are well-versed of the care needs of your loved one.
- Be prepared if ever emergency situations happen. You need to have a backup plan if ever something happens. With regards to your loved one’s welfare, be prepared with a checklist of their necessities, such as a list of their medications, their doctor’s contact information, and other essentials.
As a home care company in La Mesa, California, we hope that your trip can be as relieving and fulfilling to your senior loved one as it is to you. If ever you will need some more help in preparing for these travels or after arrival, you have Sunshine Home Health Aide Org., Inc. to back you up.